Friday, October 14, 2016

Homosexuality is part of natural selection, religious objection is sick, expert says

The only logical argument against homosexuality is that two men or two women cannot produce children together. Proliferation of the species. I get that. But as I have stated before, our planet is currently overpopulated. We are rapidly running out of resources. And just as most of us men were born with an innate attraction to women, so were homosexuals born with an innate attraction to their same sex. It isn't perverted, it isn't wrong, and it isn't an aberration. In fact, it's natural selection at its most acute. Evolution has a way of balancing itself out, and what is more plainly evidence of that fact than homosexuality? 





We were not, every single one of us, put on this planet to procreate. If that were the case, we would have hit ten billion of us 100 years ago. A full 10% of the world's population is homosexual. So to say it is a sin is to say that God erred, because homosexuals are born that way. It isn't - it never has been for any of them - a choice. 


My friend, who is a lesbian, said she started to feel attracted to women at age five, long before she even understood what it meant to be sexually attracted to anyone. And despite her parents best efforts, she remains that way to this day. She didn't choose to be attracted to women. My God, who would willingly choose to be a pariah? I am myself a pariah, through no fault of my own, simply because I am not a Christian in an overwhelmingly Christian-dominated region. It sucks being a pariah. It's not fun. Hell, I didn't choose to think the way I think. I didn't ask anyone for the clarity I now have. I didn't pray for "discernment," as the Charismatic Christians called it back in the church where I grew up. But boy, howdy, did I get it! In spades! And the attention isn't anything approaching positive attention . . . that might actually be desirable. But the current version, let me assure you, sure as hell ain't fun. And my quickly-dwindling friends list on Facebook tells me loud and clear that my stances and ideas make people uncomfortable (which is kinda sorta fun, actually).

I don't say all this just to see my own words in print. I don't say it because people want to hear what I have to say. But clearly they/you desperately need to hear it. "Hate the sin, not the sinner," my ass. That's pretzel logic. Because what you deem to be sin is only sinful in your eyes. What you think is sin cannot even be agreed upon by your fellow Christians, much less taken as a universal truth. Thus, your idea of sin is relative! 





The Christian Bible is the most hypocritical religious tome ever penned, yet somehow scholars and leaders for the last 1500 years have managed to use it to their ends unfailingly and unflinchingly, and even worse, a U.S. politician cannot even hope to get elected without professing affiliation and allegiance to Christianity. And all any of it has brought us is ruin. Were it not for religious fear of the unknown, science and technology would be far more advanced than it currently is; re: Coepernicus, Galileo, Darwin, Newton, et. al., all of whom were persecuted for thinking outside the box, as it were. 

Again, I did not choose to think the way I think. Logic and rationale made me what I am. It is a miserable acceptance of being, who I am today. I am not a happy person, likely because I cannot un-know the things I now know . . . among other things. It would be far more pleasant to accept the hypothesis that some divine, all-knowing, omnipotent being existed who could evaporate all my problems with a nod and a smile. I wanted more than anyone I know to be a good Christian, to praise God and be accepted among my brethren. Instead, what happened is when I got turned inward, which is where religious thought invariably leads a thinking person, I realized that the things that were being preached to me were inherently wrong. I could not accept the idea that I was a member of some special club and that everyone with whom I identified and called friend who didn't happen to be in that same club were condemned to eternal suffering. That's what really killed it for me. Eternal. Not just a year or two. Forever. For all time. For the really dumb reason that they were not raised the same way as I was. As my best friend, Anleigh, would happily interject here, "That's sick."




And so it is . . . sick, that is. It is effectively saying that a man raised in an African tribe his whole life, never having known the religion of the White Man, believing in his native gods and traditions as anyone would who is raised in a particular religious culture, is doomed to suffer an eternity in hell-fire. What kind of sick, twisted, psychotic god would inflict that kind of punishment on one of his creations? This same man who has done nothing but work hard and provide for his family, who's done exactly as he was expected to do by his community . . . he's screwed because he doesn't belong to the same club as me? That's some sick shit. 

And that same, sick belief is encased in a religious tome which says expressly that. I cannot get behind that kind of belief structure. I understand those who do so out of fear. I understand those who do so because they were raised that way. But I will never understand someone who comes to that kind of belief clear-eyed and cognizant of all the consequences.

1 comment:

  1. Update: I said previously that I was not a happy person. That isn't precise. I am happy. But it makes me decidedly unhappy when I think that the majority of people I know and call friend blithely follow a faith which I know in my heart to be inherently flawed, if not downright evil. I welcome comment and dissent, by the way. I will not put you down, call you names or try to make you feel foolish. But I also will not back down. I fight faith and foolishness with logic and reason...and I always win. Because reason governs my thoughts and communication. And neither will I allow you to turn this blog into your cornerstone. Say your peace, debate - politely - and we'll all get along. Or don't, and I'll simply delete your words, and you, from the discussion altogether.

    ReplyDelete